Best Chinese American Bat Soup Recipes of 2020
With all of this talk of Corona Virus we thought it might be time to release a piece on our favorite oriental cuisine. There are many Americans who have longed to taste the infamous Chinese Bat Soup dish but could never find it outside the borders of China. This is why we at the Daily Groyper have compiled a list of the greatest Bat Soup Recipes of 2020.
Bat Soup Recipe 1:
- Place the bats in a large kettle and add water to cover, ginger, onion, garlic and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 60 minutes.
- Strain broth into a second kettle.
- Take the bats, skin them and discard the skin.
- Remove meat from the bones and return meat, and any of the viscera you fancy, to the broth.
- Serve liberally sprinkled with scallions and further seasoned with soy sauce and/or coconut cream.
- Makes 4 servings.
- (From “The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook” by Jean Hewitt (c) 1971, Quadrangle Books, Inc. NY.
- NOTE: A final word about the Jean Hewitt cookbook. It is now out of print.
Bat Wing Soup Recipe 2:
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute garlic until tender, but not browned. Stir in tomatoes. Puree mixture using an immersion blender. Or, puree in batches in a blender and return to pan.
- Bring soup to a boil. Stir in cream; heat through over low heat. Keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For wings, flatten bread on a work surface using a rolling pin. Cut each slice diagonally in half; remove crusts. Using kitchen scissors, cut long sides to resemble bat wings. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake until lightly toasted, 5-8 minutes, turning once.
- Serve soup with wings. If desired, sprinkle with pepper.
Bat Soup Recipe 3:
- 2 can(s)coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 pinchsalt
- 1 largefruitbat
- 2 tsplemon juice
- 5 Tbspsoy sauce, light
- 1/8 cchopped onion or green onion
- 2 mediumdonni sali (hot peppers)
- In a large pot, boil water and whole fruitbat for about two hours or until skin of fruitback is soft enough to tear. Remove water and add coconut milk to the fruitbat with a pinch of salt to taste. Cook for another ten minutes and serve with hot sauce and cooked rice.
- Hot Sauce recipe:
In a sauce bowl, mix five Tbsp. soy sauce, two tspn. lemon juice with thinly sliced onion or chopped green onion. Stir and then add chopped Donni Sali (hot pepper) to your liking.